Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Diffent pools needs different storage definitions?

2008-06-17 10:12:01
Subject: [Bacula-users] Diffent pools needs different storage definitions?
From: "Michael Heimpold" <michael.heimpold AT i2se DOT com>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 16:11:21 +0200
Hi,

I've some problems understanding the documentation. Here
(http://www.bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Basic_Volume_Management.html#15352)
are some paragraphs describing the use of different Pools and different
Devices.
My question/missunderstanding is the following: do I need for
every Pool I want to use a dedicated Storage Device definition?
I planned to backup only to a single directory, but different labels
of the monthly, weekly and daily backups:
--snip--
Storage {
  Name = zimt-sd
  Address = 192.168.1.1
  SDPort = 9103
  Password = "xxx"
  Device = FileStorage
  Media Type = File
}
Schedule {
  Name = "Default"
  Run = Level=Full Pool=Monthly 1st sat at 03:05
  Run = Level=Differential Pool=Weekly 2nd-5th sat at 03:05
  Run = Level=Incremental Pool=Daily sun-fri at 03:05
}
Pool {
  Name = Daily
  Pool Type = Backup
  Use Volume Once = yes
  Recycle = yes
  AutoPrune = yes
  Volume Retention = 14 days
  Label Format = "Daily-"
  Maximum Volume Bytes = 4G
}

Pool {
  Name = Weekly
  Pool Type = Backup
  Use Volume Once = yes
  Recycle = yes
  AutoPrune = yes
  Volume Retention = 6 weeks
  Label Format = "Weekly-"
  Maximum Volume Bytes = 4G
}

Pool {
  Name = Monthly
  Pool Type = Backup
  Use Volume Once = yes
  Recycle = yes
  AutoPrune = yes
  Volume Retention = 365 days
  Label Format = "Monthly-"
  Maximum Volume Bytes = 4G
}
--snap--

The storage daemon has only one Device configuration:
--snip--

Device {
  Name = FileStorage
  Media Type = File
  Archive Device = /srv/bacula
  LabelMedia = yes;                   # lets Bacula label unlabeled media
  Random Access = Yes;
  AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
  RemovableMedia = no;
  AlwaysOpen = no;
}
--snap--

Last weekend, my problem was that the differential backups stalled
with the message that "Pool Daily was mounted" but "Pool Weekly was
expected" (sorry, after a restart of the director the exact message
was lost).

I think I'm still missing something. Would be kind if anybody could
give some hints.

I use the standard packages shipped with opensuse 10.3:
bacula-dir --version: 2.0.3
bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Michael Heimpold

=================================!!!ACHTUNG!!!==================================
I2SE ist umgezogen. Beachten Sie bitte die neuen Telefonnummern und die neue
Adresse.
=================================!!!ACHTUNG!!!==================================
--
I2SE GmbH                          Telefon: +49 (0) 341 30 85 98-28
Friedrich-List-Platz 2             Telefax: +49 (0) 341 30 85 98-11

Umsatzsteueridentnr.: DE 811528334
Amtsgericht Leipzig HRB 23784
Geschäftsführer: Carsten Ziermann

*** Diese E-Mail ist allein für den bezeichneten Adressaten bestimmt. Sie kann
rechtlich vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Wenn Sie diese E-Mail irrtümlich
erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte unverzüglich den Absender per E-Mail und
löschen Sie diese E-Mail von Ihrem Computer, ohne Kopien anzufertigen.
Vielen Dank. ***

*** This email is for the exclusive use of the addressee. It may contain legally
privileged information. If you have received this message in error, please
notify the sender by email immediately and delete the message from your computer
without making any copies.
Thank you. ***