Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Change next volume

2008-06-17 05:05:07
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Change next volume
From: Ariano Bertacca <a.bertacca AT vva DOT de>
To: Marcos de Jesus Faria <marcos AT pompom.com DOT br>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 11:04:52 +0200
Am 16.06.2008 um 19:27 schrieb Marcos de Jesus Faria:

> Good Afternoon,
>
> My backup files are under LTO3, so a have the label below for this
> job:
>
> LTO3-FULL-0001
> LTO3-FULL-0002
> LTO3-FULL-0024
> LTO3-FULL-0025
>
> so I want to do this backup in this sequence, now Bacula do the
> backup out of sequence.
> For exemplo.:
>
> Date:                    Job
> 06/16/2006 - LTO3-FULL-0001
> 06/17/2006 - LTO3-FULL-0005
> 06/18/2006 - LTO3-FULL-0002
> 06/19/2006 - LTO3-FULL-0007
> And.. and... and...
>
> I want:
> Date:                    Job
> 06/16/2006 - LTO3-FULL-0001
> 06/17/2006 - LTO3-FULL-0002
> 06/18/2006 - LTO3-FULL-0003
> 06/19/2006 - LTO3-FULL-0004
> And.. and... and...
>
> How can I change de sequence ?
>
> Thanks.
>

> Marcos de Jesus Faria

Hi!
Bacula doesn't care about the numbers in labels, aside from using them
as identification. It normally picks the next best tape from your
volume pool based on several criteria, like "last written to",
"status" and if all tapes are new and never used, i had the feeling it
tends to use the next tape based on the tape id.

To force bacula using a specific tape, you could probably disable all
tapes you don't want to use. In this case you could disable LTO3-
FULL-0005 and issue a "stat dir" and see if -0002 then follows -0001.
Be careful with disabling tapes, unless you can be sure that your
backup fits on one tape, otherwise you might end up with a stopped
job, as long as you don't mount a tape by hand.
Once you used all your tapes you can recycle the oldest tape first and
the cycle should automaticly continue as planned.

Anyway - if you don't really need to keep that order, it is probably
better to let bacula choose the tapes. That way you don't have to care
anymore. Still, you would have to watch retention times, volume usage
and so on...

Cheers,
Ariano Bertacca
Systemmanagement

fon +49 211 7357-834 | fax +49 211 7357-859

--
Vereinigte Verlagsanstalten GmbH
Höherweg 278 | 40231 Düsseldorf

HR Düsseldorf HRB 658