Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Synthetic Backups

2008-06-16 04:02:00
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Synthetic Backups
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Matt Mills <mmills AT ceteranet DOT com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 10:01:42 +0200
Hello,

On Thursday 12 June 2008 23:19:12 Matt Mills wrote:
> Mr Sibbald,
>
> > I am considering putting a first cut of job consolidation into the
> > next version of Bacula -- see item #3 on the y, Projects list "Merge
> > multiple backups (Synthetic Backup or Consolidation)"
>
> I was wondering if you ever got anywhere with this, I'm very interested
> in Synthetic backups.
>
> -Matt Mills

Job consolidation (or synthetic backups) is a project that is on our list, but
as of this point in time nothing is implemented.  It is a project that I
would like to do, but it still remains undefined from the stand point of
directives and how it would be used (e.g. could you specify a point in time
rather than just the last Full backup, and if so, how; what happens if the
backups done were not "accurate backups", which means the consolidation will
not *really* be equivalent to a Full, ...).  These kinds of problems (and
testing) often take more time than the actual programming.

I cannot promise that it will make it into the next release, because we
already have a large number of projects in works.

The next major release is scheduled for September or later.

Best regards,

Kern