Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] how to not recyle one volume (backing up to disk files)

2008-06-13 20:45:44
Subject: [Bacula-users] how to not recyle one volume (backing up to disk files)
From: Kendall Shaw <kshaw AT kendallshaw DOT com>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 17:49:45 -0700
Short version:

How can I have one volume per job, with one volume "never" being
recycled, and the rest being rotated weekly.

If I had a schedule like:

  Run = Differential sun at 23:00
  Run = Incremental mon-sat at 23:00

The first time the job ever runs, I want it to be bumped up to a full
backup in Vol001.
Then I want an incremental backup mon-sat (Vol002 - Vol007)
Then Sunday, recycle Vol002 and do differential backup on Vol002. Monday
incremental Vol003, etc.

In testing, I have:

  Recycle = yes
  AutoPrune = yes
  Volume Retention = ...
  Use Volume Once = yes
  Maximum Volumes = 7

This, recycles the first volume though.

Long version:

I am setting up a backup plan for my home LAN with 3 computers. My most
important info is on a computer with mirrored drives (eventually I will
put mirrored drives on the others). Another computer runs windows and
the third is supposed to be my backup device (it runs bacula).

The vast majority of my data changes rarely (music, movies, archived
files). For now, I can't afford to keep backups for the purpose of
finding files that I accidentally deleted a month ago, for example.

So, what I'd really like is to do a full backup rarely (once a year, for
example), and then do differential backups weekly and incremental
backups daily. This is done to hard disk. So, I need to recycle the
volumes.

How, can I keep the full backup from being recycled, and allow the other
volumes to be recycled?

Kendall