Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Disk backup volume recycling/autopruning problems

2008-06-02 10:42:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Disk backup volume recycling/autopruning problems
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik AT iki DOT fi>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 17:42:39 +0300
On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 04:45:04PM +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:

> JobId 6: Start Backup JobId 6, Job=server1.2008-06-02_16.25.08
> JobId 6: Using Device "FSDevice1"
> JobId 6: Job server1.2008-06-02_16.25.08 waiting. Cannot find any appendable
> volumes.
> Please use the "label"  command to create a new Volume for:
>       Storage:      "FSDevice1" (/mnt/backup1/pool1)
>       Pool:         Pool1
>       Media type:   File1
>

> Output of "list media pool=Pool1" is in the url below because the formatting
> got messed up when I pasted it to this email:
>
> http://pasik.reaktio.net/bacula-cannot-find-any-appendable-volumes.txt
>
> Checking that it looks like all of the 8 volumes are either Full or Used,
> they have
> recycle flag set and the retention period is 60 seconds.. what's wrong?
>
> Why can't bacula prune+recycle these volumes? Is there something else that
> makes bacula not recycle those volumes..

"The Volume Retention period count down begins only when the Append status
has been changed to some othe status (Full, Used, Purged, ...).

When this time period expires, and if AutoPrune is set to yes, and a new
Volume is needed, but no appendable Volume is available, Bacula will prune
(remove) Job records that are older than the specified Volume Retention
period. "

"When all file catalog entries are removed from the volume, its VolStatus is
set to Purged."

I can't see this happening..

"After all Volumes of a Pool have been pruned (as mentioned above, this
happens when a Job needs a new Volume and no appendable Volumes are
available), Bacula will look for the oldest Volume that is Purged (all Jobs
and Files expired), and if the Recycle flag is on (Recycle=yes) for that
Volume, Bacula will relabel it and write new data on it."

Ok, so recycling won't happen because volumes are not marked as Purged..

But how to get them Purged? Shouldn't that happen automatically.. I'm
missing something from the configuration, but can't figure out what..

-- Pasi