Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Replacing Arcserve with Bacula, disk staging/spooling configuration

2008-05-22 10:13:43
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Replacing Arcserve with Bacula, disk staging/spooling configuration
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik AT iki DOT fi>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 17:12:40 +0300
On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 09:50:15AM -0400, John Drescher wrote:
> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 9:31 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik AT iki DOT fi> wrote:
> > Hello list!
> >
> > I'm currently running Arcserve B2D2T (Backup to disk to tape) configuration,
> > but I'm now in the process of migrating that setup to Bacula.
> >
> > I've been reading Bacula manuals about spooling and other options, but I'm
> > not
> > totally sure if Bacula supports "disk staging" (as Arcserve calls it) in the
> > same way.
> >
> > Basicly I'd like to backup each client to hard disk, and then copy the
> > backups from the hard disk to tape autochanger in the end of the job.
> >
> > Arcserve allows restores being made from the disk.. if the backup is still
> > being held on disk.. if not, then from the tape.
> >
> > Backups older than N days are being removed automatically from the disk by
> > Arcserve.
> >
> Look at migration in the manual. You will need a very recent version
> of bacula for this to work. The two year old 1.38 that is considered
> stable on some linux distributions will definitely not work.

Thanks for your reply!

I'm running Bacula 2.2.8 on CentOS 5.1. Is that new enough?

I've been reading http://bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Migration.html but I'm
still wondering about a couple of things..

I'd like to have backups on _both_ disk (for fast restores) and
tape (for transporting them to a remote location) but it seems
migration in bacula moves backups instead of copying..

so I can't do fast restores from disk anymore after I've migrated my
backups to tape.. and basicly I'd need to copy to a tape immediately after
backup to disk ends..

Is there a way to automatically run migration job after main backup job
ends?

-- Pasi