Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Win32 reparse points (junction points and volume mount points)

2008-05-01 10:58:01
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Win32 reparse points (junction points and volume mount points)
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 10:57:47 -0400
Kern Sibbald wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am now trying to work on the problems that the two of you are having with
> the Bacula FD and Win32 reparse points. Christian's problems are indicated in
> bug #1041, and Bob's problems are mentioned in a recent email.  I believe
> that both of your problems are due to the same basic problem -- the Win32 FD
> does not yet fully handle reparse points correctly.
>
> I am having three problems working on this:
>
> 1. The two of you have indicated exactly opposite problems for version
> 2.2.10-b1. Christian cannot get it to descend into mount points and Bob sees
> it descending into junction points (to be confirmed).   I could probably
> resolve this were it not for the next problem ...
>
> 2. I am unable to create any mount points on my computer (Windows Vista
> Business).  I have tried setting a mount point to both a removable USB key
> that I can easily mount, and to the CDROM drive, which I can also easily
> mount, and I have tried both via the command line using "mountvol" and in the
> Control Administrative Tools.  With the command line I get "access denied",
> with the Control Panel, the button to assign a path is always grayed out.  My
> account is running as administrator of the machine.

I would say it is already mounted, or in Windows terminology "assigned a
drive letter", since automount is enabled by default. I don't think a
partition can be assigned to a drive letter and a mount point at the
same time, thus the access denied. Try unmounting the partition first
using mountvol /p. Then you *SHOULD* be able to mount it at a mount
point (NTFS folder) using either Disk Manager or the mountvol command.

> 3. There are two additional partitions on my hard disk that could potentially
> be used for testing.  One is the Sony  NTFS recovery partition, into which I
> can boot.  However, via the control panel, I am unable to assign it a drive
> letter -- it is just grayed out.  The second partition is an unformatted
> partition (very small).  It too is always grayed out.  It is as if I have no
> access or write permissions even though I am adminstrator.

Probably a WinPE EFI (extensible firmware interface) partition, which
mountvol does not support.