Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula not using compression

2008-04-30 14:54:01
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula not using compression
From: Hemant Shah <hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com>
To: baculausers <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 11:53:48 -0700 (PDT)
I believe there is a bug in bacula code that reads config file.

When I defined my fileset as follows, bacula was not compressing the data:

FileSet
{
 Name = "lidp11 Set"
 Ignore Fileset Changes = yes
 Include
 {
   {
      compression=gzip
      onefs=yes
      signature = MD5
   }
   {
      WildDir = "*/.snapshot"
      WildFile = "*/core"
      WildDir = "/*/cob"
      WildDir = "/*/dbcob"
      exclude=yes
   }
   File=/
   File=/dev
   File=/opt
   File=/var
   File=/usr
   File=/home
 }

 Exclude
 {
   {
     signature = MD5
   }
   File = /proc
   File = /tmp
   File = /.journal
   File = /.fsck
 }
}

When I changed the fileset so that compression is at the end of the include,
bacula started compressing data:

FileSet
{
 Name = "lidp11 Set"
 Ignore Fileset Changes = yes
 Include
 {
   {
      onefs=yes
      signature = MD5
   }
   {
      WildDir = "*/.snapshot"
      WildFile = "*/core"
      WildDir = "/*/cob"
      WildDir = "/*/dbcob"
      exclude=yes
   }
   File=/
   File=/dev
   File=/opt
   File=/var
   File=/usr
   File=/home
   {
      compression=gzip
   }
 }

 Exclude
 {
   {
     signature = MD5
   }
   File = /proc
   File = /tmp
   File = /.journal
   File = /.fsck
 }
}

I was reading the "strange software compression problem" thread from Jan 2007
where Kern said that the code for SHA-256 and SHA-512 was broken and that he
had a patch for it. I am using MD5 and it still has same problem, the work
around is same as what Kern had mentioned in that thread.

Also, on AIX although bacula compresses the data, in the e-mail it still says
"Software Compression:   None". The size of the backup without compression was
14GB and with compression it was 4.1GB.

Hemant Shah
E-mail: hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com