Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] simulating base jobs

2008-04-30 10:48:29
Subject: [Bacula-users] simulating base jobs
From: Silver Salonen <silver AT ultrasoft DOT ee>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:30:51 +0300
Hello :)

Does anybody have any nice alternative to base jobs (project number 6)?

The problem I'm trying to resolve here is backing up a folder and 100 copies
of it with small changes (in Windows).

The solution I thought on myself:
1) Share all the folders for backing them up via mount_smbfs
2) Mount the first "template" folder (eg. //win/template) somewhere
(eg. /mnt/win)
3) Perform a full backup of the mountpoint (/mnt/win) to get a "template"
4) Unmount the "template" and mount a changed copy of the folder (//win/copy1)
to the same place (/mnt/win)
5) Perform a differential/incremental backup of the mountpoint (/mnt/win) to
get only the changes
6) Repeat steps 4&5 with all the copies of the folder

I actually tried this too, but it didn't work - I successfully created the
full backup (3), but differential/incremental backups of the copies (that
actually had some files changed and some more files put into them) didn't
include any files.
That arised a question how are the changes of a folder actually inspected -
isn't a folder just scanned for any new or changed files?

Can anyone think of a better solution to the problem?

Does anyone know how is the status of "base jobs" in Bacula?

--
Silver