Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula 2.2.8 patches

2008-04-29 16:32:58
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula 2.2.8 patches
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 21:37:14 +0200
Hi,

29.04.2008 12:55, Wolfram Schlich wrote:
> * Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de> [2008-04-29 12:46]:
>> Hi,
>
> Hi Arno!
>
>> 29.04.2008 11:50, Wolfram Schlich wrote:
>>> * Wolfram Schlich <lists AT wolfram.schlich DOT org> [2008-03-29 07:21]:

>>> As nobody cared and the Gentoo users have waited long enough, I've fixed the
>>> patch myself now, so I can actually commit it (and along the other patches)
>>> to our Portage tree.
>>>
>>> It's really strange to see a patch that does not apply cleanly to stay
>>> unfixed that long.
>> That's probably because Kern has been on vacation for a week...
>
> My posting was a month old...

Good point. But see below...

>> also, have you sent this mail to -devel or posted the information at
>> bugs.bacula.org?
>
> Nope. When somebody sends a mail to a mailing list, answers to their
> mail usually go the that list.

True, but for cases like this one, the -users mailing list is not the
best place. Mainly because the main developers don't read this list
very thoroughly. Instead, they rely on bugs coming in through
bugs.bacula.org, and discussions regarding the code happening at
-devel. The fact that Kern sometimes replies to mails here is more or
less an exception... Also, regular -users users don't often forward
development related mails to the developers because we - at least I -
don't follow the bug reports very closely and simply don't know what
is already reported there or has already been fixed.

I try to point to the proper resources when I notice things like
possible bugs or promising patches, but surely we miss such things
from time to time.

> One should not be sending mails to
> mailing lists (except -announce lists for example) when not caring
> for answers at all, IMHO.

That might be true, though I wouldn't imply that Kern, in this case,
didn't care for answers. I rather assume he would have preferred
another way of communication this problem.

> Really strange that nobody else noticed the broken patch... seems
> nobody tried using it.

Possible... I, at least, haven't.

Arno

--