Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] storage daemon problem

2008-04-28 17:42:18
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] storage daemon problem
From: "Maria McKinley" <parody AT u.washington DOT edu>
To: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 14:15:09 -0700
On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 1:48 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 12:49 AM, Maria McKinley
>  <parody AT u.washington DOT edu> wrote:
>  > Hello,
>  >
>  >  My storage daemon quit, and I can't get it restarted. I believe it
>  >  happened when I asked for the status of the storage daemon, after I had
>  >  moved a volume from one pool to a different pool. The only message in
>  >  the log is:
>  >
>  >  27-Apr 13:20 billie-sd JobId 517: 3307 Issuing autochanger "unload slot
>  >  5, drive 0" command.
>  >  27-Apr 13:21 ella-fd JobId 517: Fatal error: backup.c:892 Network send
>  >  error to SD. ERR=Broken pipe
>  >
>  >  This was undoubtedly caused by the daemon quitting, but there are no
>  >  messages explaining why it quit, or why it won't restart. btape seems to
>  >  work fine:
>  >
>  Run the storage daemon from the shell and see if any errors are
>  printed. You may want to activate debug output with -d 100
>
>  John

Boy, that is strange. I ran it from the shell like you suggested (btw,
man bacula-sd does not tell you anything about the -d option), and it
started fine. Then I started it from the init.d script, and it started
fine there too. Not sure what happened, but now as I look at the
output of list volumes more closely, I do see something strange.
Before the storage daemon died, bacula was complaining that it wanted
a volume that was actually in the tape changer, so something weird was
going on with the communication between bacula and the tape changer.
Ah, well, working now, thanks.

~maria