Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] storage daemon problem

2008-04-28 00:49:22
Subject: [Bacula-users] storage daemon problem
From: Maria McKinley <parody AT u.washington DOT edu>
To: Bacula Users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 21:49:08 -0700
Hello,

My storage daemon quit, and I can't get it restarted. I believe it
happened when I asked for the status of the storage daemon, after I had
moved a volume from one pool to a different pool. The only message in
the log is:

27-Apr 13:20 billie-sd JobId 517: 3307 Issuing autochanger "unload slot
5, drive 0" command.
27-Apr 13:21 ella-fd JobId 517: Fatal error: backup.c:892 Network send
error to SD. ERR=Broken pipe

This was undoubtedly caused by the daemon quitting, but there are no
messages explaining why it quit, or why it won't restart. btape seems to
work fine:

billie:~# btape -c /etc/bacula/bacula-sd.conf /dev/st0
Tape block granularity is 1024 bytes.
btape: butil.c:285 Using device: "/dev/st0" for writing.
27-Apr 21:23 btape JobId 0: 3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded? drive 0"
command.
27-Apr 21:23 btape JobId 0: 3302 Autochanger "loaded? drive 0", result
is Slot 9.
27-Apr 21:23 btape JobId 0: 3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded? drive 0"
command.
27-Apr 21:23 btape JobId 0: 3302 Autochanger "loaded? drive 0", result
is Slot 9.
btape: btape.c:372 open device "Drive-1" (/dev/st0): OK

I then ran test, and everything succeeded, although I didn't run the
autochanger test, because I didn't have a blank tape in slot 1, and I'm
not on site to put one there. I can do that later in the week, if it is
important.

I am using Debian lenny, bacula 2.2.8-8, and backup has been working
successfully for a very long time, so I am perplexed. I have an exabyte
10 tape changer, and can change tapes from the command line without any
problems.

configuration file is fine when I test with bacula-sd.

I guess the first question is, how do I get the storage daemon to log
info when it fails to start so I can figure out what is going wrong?

thanks a bunch,
maria