Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Vista laptop file daemon network errors

2008-04-28 16:23:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Vista laptop file daemon network errors
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: matilla AT sensofar DOT com
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 13:52:00 -0400
Aitor wrote:
> I confirm that the Ethernet controller for this HP Laptop is the Intel
> 82566MM,  and unfortunately I cannot do the backup over WLAN because
> with it, the pc access to another LAN.
> So I don't know what to do.
> Ideas?
>
> Thank you, Aitor.

Got access to another ThinkPad to try. This one was an R61, rather than
T61, but still has the same Intel 82566MM ethernet phy, still uses
Access Connections, and is a very, very similar machine. Bacula works
just fine on the R61. The big difference between this R61 and the T61's
I can't get Bacula to work on, as far as I can tell, is that the R61 has
XP, while the T61's have 32-bit Vista Business. Since a similar machine
with the same ethernet hardware works on XP, and given that I have
Bacula working well on several Vista Business PCs, about the only thing
it could be is a buggy Intel 82566MM Vista driver.

The latest available driver is the one failing, so the only thing I know
to try is to start disabling "features" of the 82566MM one by one and
see if it works. I still have not been able to get my hands on one of
the two T61's again, unfortunately. One thing I would try first is to
disable checksum offload, since that has caused problems in the past for
other Ethernet controllers. Then I'll try disabling (if possible) IPV6
for the 82566MM. If you can try any of these possibilities or have found
a solution, please let us know.

Other than that, I'm stumped as to why the T61's apparently just drop
the connection. If I turn on heartbeat in the client and SD then the SD
gets "packet too big" errors, which I suspect is something similar to
bug 1061 going on. I don't know if a timeout is the issue, anyway. The
disconnect occurs after several hundred MBs of data have already been
transmitted.

--- Josh