Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula and Xen

2008-04-25 14:51:15
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula and Xen
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 14:34:13 -0400
Hi,

Thought I would let the list know that I have succeeded in getting all
Bacula daemons running in a Xen domU, including SD using USB removable
drives as backup storage. The goal was to run Bacula SD and Dir in a Xen
domU on a 2-node high-availability cluster. The trick was udev rules on
the dom0's of each node to use xm to dynamically attach and detach a USB
drive to the domU bacula-sd is running in. Automount is used on the domU
to automount the USB drive partition at a static mountpoint based on
filesystem label.

Bottom line is that Bacula now runs failsafe, (sort of). If the node the
bacula domU is running on fails, Heartbeat will automatically bring the
domU (and Bacula with it) up on the good node. Bacula will only be down
a brief time while Heartbeat detects the failure and brings the domU up
on the other node. I haven't yet tested failover while a backup job is
running. (Just haven't gotten that far yet.)

I can elaborate if anyone is interested. I also have some questions.
Does Bacula have a means to re-schedule a job that fails? If Bacula
could reschedule the failed job to run again in a few minutes, then this
will be a way to make Bacula highly available. Also, what does the
client do when the connection to the SD goes down and then comes back up
a short time later?

--- Josh Fisher