Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula using CDs

2008-04-24 14:21:58
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula using CDs
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 20:21:10 +0200
Hi,

24.04.2008 17:52, Andy Collyer wrote:

> Hi there.  I’m trying to make bacula work on a small system using just
> writable CDs and I’m stuck – after much hair loss I have managed to get
> the storage daemon to stay alive but I can’t label a volume – the
> bconsole label command returns:
>

> Connecting to Storage daemon CD-ROM <etc> ...
>
> Sending label command for Volume “DefaultVolume-0001” Slot 0  ...
>
> dvd.c:263 Error writing part 1 to the DVD: ERR=Error while writing part
> file: Cannot get media info from /usr/bin/dvd+rw-mediainfo || errno = 0
> (Success)

That's because CD is not the same as DVD... the dvd+rw-tools won't
handle CDs.

You either have to create your own equivalent to dvd-handler for CDs -
mkisofs and cdrecord are the most important tools to use - or write
volume files to disk and later copy or move them to CDs. bimanager or
whatever it's called is a web front-end for this purpose.

Alternatively, you could use CD-RW and use the packet writing tools
plus UDF to use them like conventional file systems.

Note that probably only very few people use CDs for backups now, so
the help you can get will be very limited... CDs simply don't offer
the amount of storage space needed today.

Arno

> Marking volume “DefaultVolume-0001” in Error in Catalog.
>
> 3912 Failed to label Volume: ERR=dvd.c:265 Error while writing current
> part to the DVD: Error while writing part file: Cannot get media info
> from /usr/bin/dvd+rw-mediainfo || errno = 0 (Success)
>

> Label command failed for volume DefaultVolume-0001.
>
> Do not forget to mount the drive!!!
>
> *
>

> BTW, I’ve got a new writable CD-R out of the box and stuck it straight
> in the drive – I don’t need to do anything before that, do I???
>

> dvd+rw-mediainfo tells me this:
>

>>  /usr/bin/dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/cdrom
>
> INQUIRY:                [TSSTcorp][CDRWDVD TS-H492C][DE02]
>
> GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
>
> :-( non-DVD media mounted, exiting...
>

> Hopefully, I’m doing something completely stupid... can anyone help
> please?????!?!?!
>

> Thanks for your time!
>
> AC

> Use priority code J8TL2D2.