Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Abnormal End of Volume

2008-04-21 14:26:42
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Abnormal End of Volume
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 20:26:18 +0200
Hi,

21.04.2008 11:34, Regis A. Despres wrote:
> After changing the scsi card, and the bacula hosting machine, same issue ...
> Do I have to start thinking my tape drive is dead ?

Obviously, that's not impossible.

But, as long as btape's test and fill commands work correctly, this is
a bit odd.

Can you retry a btape test on one of the tapes that are unusable at
the first write?

Also, a tapeinfo output after one of those failures, before you
unmount the tape or even load another one might be interesting.

Apart from that, I can only recommend to run tests with dd and tar
also, to see if they work correctly. If they do, and btape's test and
fill do, and Bacula still has problems, and nothing is in the system
log and the tapealerts, I'd contact Quantum...

Arno

> --
> Regis A. Despres
>

> Regis A. Despres a écrit :
> |

> | Hi,
> |
> | I trying to figure out how and why i permanently get some 'End of Volume'
> on Tapes  which are newly labeled and firstly used.
> | I cannot run a full job without having it.
> |
> | i.e.:
> | 18-Apr 17:25 bacula-sd JobId 1: End of Volume "Daily-101" at 0:1 on device
> "PowerVault-122T" (/dev/nsa0). Write of 64512 bytes got 8188.
> |

> | btape passed successfully his 'test' and 'fill'.
> | No SCSI communication error messages in logs.
> | The tape device has just been cleaned.
> |

> | What I actualy use :
> |
> | - FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE
> |
> | - bacula-server-2.2.8_2 (from FreeBSD ports)
> |   Compilation options :
> |   SQLITE3=off
> |   MYSQL=on
> |   POSTGRESQL=off
> |   MTX=on
> |   NLS=on
> |   OPENSSL=off
> |
> | - <QUANTUM SDLT320 5252>             at scbus1 target 8 lun 0 (sa0,pass2)
> |   # tapeinfo -f /dev/pass2
> |   Product Type: Tape Drive
> |   Vendor ID: 'QUANTUM '
> |   Product ID: 'SDLT320         '
> |   Revision: '5252'
> |   Attached Changer API: No
> |   SerialNumber: 'RBE20Y0087  '
> |   MinBlock: 4
> |   MaxBlock: 16777212
> |   Ready: yes
> |   BufferedMode: yes
> |   Medium Type: 0x86
> |   Density Code: 0x49
> |   BlockSize: 0
> |   DataCompEnabled: yes
> |   DataCompCapable: yes
> |   DataDeCompEnabled: yes
> |   CompType: 0x10
> |   DeCompType: 0x10
> |   BOP: yes
> |   Block Position: 0
> |   ActivePartition: 0
> |   EarlyWarningSize: 0
> |   NumPartitions: 0
> |   MaxPartitions: 0
> |

> | - <DELL PV-122T J12r>                at scbus1 target 9 lun 0 (ch0,pass3)
> |
> | - SD device conf :
> |   Name = PowerVault-122T
> |   Description = "My SDLT in FreeBSD"
> |   Media Type = SDLT
> |   Archive Device = /dev/nsa0
> |   Drive Index = 0
> |   Autochanger = yes
> |   AlwaysOpen = yes
> |   RemovableMedia = yes
> |   Minimum block size = 4
> |   Maximum block size = 16777212
> |   Hardware End of Medium = no
> |   Backward Space Record  = no
> |   Backward Space File    = no
> |   Offline On Unmount      = yes
> |   Fast Forward Space File = no
> |   BSF at EOM = yes
> |   TWO EOF    = yes
> |   Alert Command = "sh -c 'tapeinfo -f %c |grep TapeAlert|cat'"

Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann
www.its-lehmann.de