Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula and shared autochangers

2008-04-17 11:21:10
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula and shared autochangers
From: Bob Hetzel <beh AT case DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 11:11:17 -0400
To backup a bunch of separate volumes used on a SAN, I'd suggest perhaps
switching to one the following (although there may be other options or
combinations that could be set up I dunno)...

1) put your bacula-sd on one host and NFS mount the volumes from the
other servers
2) put bacula client (bacula-fd) software on each node and pick one host
to run the bacula-sd
3) use some sort of snapshot software that lets you mount the snapshot
of each filesystem on a single backup server, then run the -sd and -fd
on that machine
4) Is there any possibility you could run the bacula-sd directly on the
SAN?  Generally not with bigger ones due to support concerns but perhaps
you can get something cool to develop like a bacula partnership with a
smaller san company.  I used to be involved with an EMC Clariion SAN and
that ran on NT4 or NT3.51 or something like that, but it was strictly
hands off with respect to the customers--they couldn't do anything other
than use EMC tools to talk to it remotely.  Smaller vendors may be much
more interested in helping out to develop something like that.

     Bob