Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula and shared autochangers

2008-04-16 12:37:24
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula and shared autochangers
From: Allan Black <Allan.Black AT btconnect DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 16:45:08 +0100
Decaying Insect wrote:
> bacula-sd running on a particular file-server has acquired the
> autochanger device it is not subsequently released when that machine's
> back-ups have been completed and  the next machine's back-ups are
> scheduled: that is to say the second machine can never successfully
> issue 'mtx unload slot n'  while bacula-sd is running on the first
> machine ('mtx status' does, however, work)

If 'mtx status' works, then the first machine is not holding the
autochanger device open (I would not really expect it to), so the
problem must be the drive.

The problem may be that bacula-sd on the first machine is keeping
/dev/rmtX open. Your mtx-changer script may be trying to offline
the drive before issuing the mtx unload command (some autochangers
require this; some do not). If the drive is busy, the command
'mt -f /dev/rmtX offline' will fail, and therefore the mtx unload
command will fail too.

You could try getting the SD to release the drive at the end of
each backup job, using (this is from memory)

        Always Open = false

in the Device resource. This will cause the SD to close the device
at the end of each job, thereby making it available for the other SD
to take it. The downside of this is that, because the SD releases the
drive after every backup, it cannot guarantee the tape position at
the start of the next. Therefore every backup job will begin with a
complete rewind of the tape, followed by a forward-space to the
correct position, even for two consecutive jobs to the same tape.
This will slow down backup times.

Allan