Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula 2.2.8 Problem running on opensuse10.3

2008-04-14 20:39:37
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula 2.2.8 Problem running on opensuse10.3
From: Jeff Kalchik <jkalchik AT frontiernet DOT net>
To: Richard Tunks <richardtunks AT hotmail DOT com>, <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 19:37:10 -0500
At 06:21 PM 4/14/2008, Richard Tunks wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm looking for some help.
>Background Info:
>Your operating system    - opensuse10.2 (32bit i586)
>The version of Bacula you are using  - 2.2.8
>Problem
>I have Bacula 2.2.8 (with mysql as database) up and running
>(installed from RPM downloaded from bacula site.  Components deployed are:
>    * bacula server (mysql) 2.2.8
>    * gconsole 2.2.8-1
>    * bat 2.2.8-1
>I'm running this on a Compaq ML370 G1 (dual intel P486 + 1.5G ram)
>with a DLT7000 tape drive.  OS = opensuse 10.3 with KDE 3.5.2
>running.  I have the server backing its self up and also single
>windows machine - this works really well.
>
>My problem is that intermittantly when I try launch the BAT tool and
>it connects to the Director the server crashes and executes a full
>"power lost" restart.  I'm new to this so don't have any diagnostics
>(logs etc).  If someone could give me some advice on how to get some
>debug I'd like to collect some to help to identify and resolve the
>problem.  I have not included the SD, FD or DIR conf files here, but
>I'm happy to send them if that would help.
>
>Any suggestions on how to improve stability would be really appreciated.

I think the *FIRST* thing I would try would be to run bat on another
system connecting back to this one.  If you have a crash, it'll tell
you if it's server side or client side.  No, don't run bat on this
machine with a remote X display, run the entire bat client on another machine.

I have 2.2.8 running on openSuSE 10.3 64bit, q6600 quadcore CPU with
4gb of RAM, and a PostgreSQL catalog.  No crashes to date, I built
this machine several weeks ago.

Jeff Kalchik