Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Difficulties with tape rotation/recycling

2008-04-09 14:55:06
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Difficulties with tape rotation/recycling
From: Wil Cooley <wcooley AT nakedape DOT cc>
To: bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 17:25:03 +0000
On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 12:03 -0400, John Drescher wrote:

> This is not normal. Please post the messages when you get into this situation.

I will do that, which I guess should be about two weeks from now.

> Also did you issue an unmount then inserted the other tape?

Yes, I unmounted, swapped tapes and mounted. I even unmounted, pulled
out, put it back in and re-mounted *after* getting the tape to the
"Recycled" state.

> >  Pool {
> >    Name          = Default
> >    Pool Type     = Backup
> >    Recycle       = yes
> >    AutoPrune     = yes
> >    Maximum Volume Bytes = 10 gb
> >    Maximum Volumes = 2
> >    Volume Retention = 14 days
> >    Volume Use Duration =  14 days
> >    LabelFormat   = "TR5-${Year}-${Month:p/2/0/r}-${Day:p/2/0/r}"
> >  }
> >
> I would set this to 13 days instead. I believe the duration starts
> after the first job on the tape is complete. Thus making a tape
> available 15 days after inserted.

Ah, interesting. I had the volume retention at 13 days until the other
day; I will try the volume use duration instead. Looking over my diffs,
I see that I also had the file and job retention set to 30 days and 60
months, respectively, until last Sunday, when I started mucking with
this again and noticed the last notes at the end of "Recycling
Algorithm" about the Job, File and Volume retention periods.

Wil