Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Difficulties with tape rotation/recycling

2008-04-09 12:57:07
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Difficulties with tape rotation/recycling
From: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Wil Cooley" <wcooley AT nakedape DOT cc>, bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 12:03:41 -0400
On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 11:11 AM, Wil Cooley <wcooley AT nakedape DOT cc> wrote:

>  I am running 2.0.3 on Fedora 8 for my director, which also provides SD
>  for my tape drive. I am having troubles understanding tape
>  rotation/recycling, I guess, even though I have read the section
>  "Automatic Volume Recycling" in the manual a dozen times or more.
>
>  My goal is to use two tapes, swapping them every two weeks and
>  overwriting them when I do. I have 10GB tapes (w/o hardware compression)
>   and backup about 4GB per week. So far so good. The trouble comes when
>  I need to exchange the tape. It's difficult to describe the exact
>  scenarios when it will not work; there is so much time between each
>  session when I try to understand it that I forget things and end up
>  nearly starting over each time. I have been through a number of
>  iterations, but my current configuration is below. Often it will just
>  wait for days with the correct (by my expectations) tape mounted, but
>  jobs will not run. "status storage=mytape" shows that it seems to be
>  unhappy with the current tape for whatever reason.
>
>  I have found previously that once I got the tape to "Recycled" or
>  "Purged" state (sometimes by manually pruning/purging), Bacula would use
>  the tape if I restarted the director (or maybe restarted the storage?).
>  Damn, I just restarted them both to check and now there are no jobs
>  waiting on the tape and the tape is no longer in state "BLOCKED waiting
>  for mumblemumble". I guess I'll so if they run tonight.

This is not normal. Please post the messages when you get into this situation.

Also did you issue an unmount then inserted the other tape?

>  At any rate, here are the important bits of my configuration; perhaps
>  someone can tell me if I am doing something boneheaded.
>
>  My clients are all basically the same as this, with the exception of
>  name, address and password:
>
>  Client {
>    Name      = myhost
>    Address   =  myhost
>    FDPort    = 9102
>    Catalog   = MyCatalog
>    Password  = "xxx"
>    File Retention = 14 days
>    Job Retention = 14 days
>    AutoPrune = yes
>  }
>
>  Pool sets my volume size, count, retention period and use duration. Hm,
>  is "Recycle Current Volume = yes" what I am missing? Or would "Recycle
>  Oldest Volume" be better, so pruning doesn't happen on the tape that
>  needs to be swapped out if it takes me a few days to do it (which it
>  does sometimes)?
>
>  Pool {
>    Name          = Default
>    Pool Type     = Backup
>    Recycle       = yes
>    AutoPrune     = yes
>    Maximum Volume Bytes = 10 gb
>    Maximum Volumes = 2
>    Volume Retention = 14 days
>    Volume Use Duration =  14 days
>    LabelFormat   = "TR5-${Year}-${Month:p/2/0/r}-${Day:p/2/0/r}"
>  }

I would set this to 13 days instead. I believe the duration starts
after the first job on the tape is complete. Thus making a tape
available 15 days after inserted.

John