Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula balancing file storage

2008-04-07 15:07:06
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula balancing file storage
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 21:06:34 +0200
Hi,

07.04.2008 19:32, Ivan Barrera wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> We've been using Bacula for a time now.
> Actually, i'm installing a new machine to replace the old one. It has 2
> 1.75TB volumes mounted at /backup-1 and /backup-2.
> I need bacule to use both directories to store all the backup data.
>
> It is a bacula 1.38.11 installed in debian 4.0.

Upgrade to something newer before the setup gets more complex :-)

> All JobDefs, use Storage = File01, and that Storage uses Device =
> FileStorage01.
> The closest explanation i found to do this, was to use 2 device
> directives pointing to the paths i want. However, it is not clear how
> both devices should be referenced. (same name ?)

No.

> Now they are defined like this :
>

> Device {
>   Name = FileStorage1
>   Media Type = File
>   Archive Device = /backup-1
>   LabelMedia = yes;
>   Random Access = Yes;
>   AutomaticMount = yes;
>   RemovableMedia = no;
>   AlwaysOpen = no;
> }
>
> Device {
>   Name = FileStorage1
>   Media Type = File
>   Archive Device = /backup-2
>   LabelMedia = yes;
>   Random Access = Yes;
>   AutomaticMount = yes;
>   RemovableMedia = no;
>   AlwaysOpen = no;
> }
>

> However, i'm not sure if this is right, or if it will even work as i want.
> Today the system is running, and all data is still being saved at
> /backup-1.

That's more or less balancing by chance... To use such a setup, you
need two storage devices with different names and different media types.

Then you direct different jobs (or, better, pools) to each of them.

If such a setup is more complex than what you like (which I find
absolutely understandable...) then it's easiest to use LVM to create
one big device from the two disks. Either as a RAID or a JBOD-like
device. Note that RAID-0 as well as JBOD increase the risk of
catastrophic failure, so I'd recommend to, at least, use *three*
devices and create a RAID-5 device from it.

Arno

> Any ideas will be welcome :)
>
> Thanks

Arno Lehmann