BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Excluding files from BackupPC

2017-07-12 14:19:01
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Excluding files from BackupPC
From: Michael Stowe <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: Jeffrey West <jeffrey.west AT riptidesoftware DOT com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 18:18:24 +0000 (UTC)

On 2017-07-12 13:03, Jeffrey West wrote:

So I added one entry

‘cygwin64’,

Also tried

‘/cygwin64’,

Also tried

‘”cygwin64”’

Also tried

‘”/cygwin64”’

Restarted the service after trying all of these and it still shows this when I backup and it is backing up the C:\cygwin64 directory.

Something's funny about that, and I can't say I'm sure what, but I think it might be instructive to examine the smbclient command line, e.g.:

/usr/bin/smbclient \\l-jwest17b.corpnet.com [2] [1]\C$ -U corpnet\backup -E -d 1 -c tarmode full -TcrX – /Document ....

The -rX should mean “use regex excludes, and here's the list” — I can't say I know what that “-” is doing in there. smbclient is ultimately the one handling the exclusions, so it does matter, for example, whether or not it's compiled to handle regexes in excludes (it will behave differently.)

In your fairly straightforward case, I doubt regexes are the issue, but it may be something else on the command line, like the exclusions are being overridden by inclusions, or ignored for some other reason.