BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems Starting BackupPC

2017-05-31 09:10:08
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems Starting BackupPC
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 31 May 2017 23:09:16 +1000

On 31/5/17 22:36, Jeffrey West wrote:

I am not quite sure why it worked.  I didn’t actually run the command, but my colleague did and was able to get the service to start after running

Kill -9 1289

Ps -ax did not show a process with that ID, and I also could not find a pid file in /var/run/BackupPC.

Also, rebooted multiple times and always showed as running on PID 1289 when the service failed to start, saying BackupPC was already running, which it wasn’t.

Very odd!  This occurred on Fedora 25 with BackupPC installed via DNF.

Broken quoting, so I've just cut it...

If the process id was not in use, then:
1) You would have got an error when you tried to kill it
2) It wouldn't have changed any behaviour, since running kill on a pid that doesn't exist will not have any impact

Therefore.... you did kill something, and it did have an effect on starting backuppc, OR you did something else other than kill something, and that solved the problem, but you think the kill is what solved it.

Don't worry, I've changed or done multiple things to try and solve a problem, and then afterwards don't really know which thing I did actually fixed the problem. Equally, sometimes it is just a matter of time, and all the changes or things you do are nothing more than time wasting, and eventually the problem is (or appears to be) fixed, (this is one reason why telling people to reboot helps often, it gives you time to fix the server while they are waiting for their desktop to reboot :)

Regards,
Adam