BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] error log for new host

2017-05-30 12:06:44
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] error log for new host
From: Jeffrey West <jeffrey.west AT riptidesoftware DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2017 11:36:31 -0400

I don’t know if this will help you, but this is how I backup my Macs.

Created a template for backing up Macs. The file is called /etc/BackupPC/pc/macs.corpnet.com.pl.template
Copy this file to /etc/BackupPC/pc/computername.corpnet.com.pl
Edit the file and change the following line to include the proper hostname or IP

$Conf{ClientNameAlias} = 'macs.corpnet.com';

On the Mac, you need to go to System Preferences, Sharing, and enable Remote Login.
SSH into the Mac using the riptide.admin account and brown password
Run the following commands

dscl . -create /Users/backuppc
dscl . -create /Users/backuppc UserShell /bin/bash
dscl . -create /Users/backuppc RealName "BackupPC"
dscl . -create /Users/backuppc UniqueID "510"
dscl . -create /Users/backuppc PrimaryGroupID 20
dscl . -create /Users/backuppc NFSHomeDirectory /Users/backuppc
dscl . -passwd /Users/backuppc brown
dscl . -append /Groups/admin GroupMembership backuppc
sudo scutil --set HostName mbp-zrawley.corpnet.com
sudo scutil --set LocalHostName mbp-zrawley.corpnet.com
sudo scutil --set ComputerName mbp-zrawley.corpnet.com
dscacheutil -flushcache

Make sure to change the computer name on the last 4 lines. Login to backuppc.riptidesoftware.com as the user backuppc and run the following command

cd .ssh
cat id_rsa.pub

Copy the lines that it spits out

ssh mbp-zrawley.corpnet.com   <-- Change to match the client computer you are setting up
Use the brown password
sudo -s
Use the brown password
mkdir /Users/backuppc
mkdir /Users/backuppc/.ssh
vi /Users/backupppc/.ssh/authorized_keys

Paste the lines you copied from before and save the file.

chmod -R backuppc:staff /Users/backuppc

Exit the SSH session on the client and then run the following command

ssh mbp-zrawley.corpnet.com   <-- Change to match the client computer you are setting up

Make sure that is does not ask for a password
You should now be able to backup a Mac by adding it to the hosts at http://backuppc.riptidesoftware.com

Jeff West
Systems Engineer
Riptide Software