BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Question about transient inodes

2017-05-30 20:02:48
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Question about transient inodes
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Ray Frush <frush AT rams.colostate DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2017 02:02:33 +0200
Hi,

Ray Frush wrote on 2017-05-30 16:53:18 -0600 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Question
about transient inodes]:
> Holger-
>
> Thanks for the followup. That's not exactly the answer I was expecting
> based on the behavior we experienced.   Once all of the initial 'full'
> backups of our systems were taken, the inode situation seems to have calmed
> down.

the point is you don't "allocate inodes" - if I'm not totally mistaken,
there's no syscall "reserve XXX inodes for me for later use". You open files
for writing - one at a time - allowing (or requiring) the system to create
the files in the process. There is a system limit to the number of files that
can be open at any one point in time (the reason probably being that kernel
memory needs to be statically reserved - some number of bytes for each), which,
as far as I can tell, is nowhere near the numbers you quoted. The number of
files a single process can open simultaneously is, I believe, lower yet. In
any case, to "allocate" millions of inodes, a process would have to open as
many files, closing them again to make space for new ones. The process would
have to keep track of all the names of those files (that is many million
multiplied with as many bytes as the file names would be long * bytes of
memory; quite noticeable on an average system) and then "quickly" delete
them again. My guess is that both creating and deleting those files would
take a considerable amount of time, depending on the filesystem (let's hope
they're at least not all in one directory ...). Above all, it would be quite
pointless.

I don't know what your NFS system is doing or showing, but I'd presume it is
in some way responsible for what you were seeing. How do you "set the maximum
number of inodes" for an NFS filesystem, and what do you mean by "pre-allocated
inodes"? Were you migrating a V3 pool from which some pool files have now
expired?

Regards,
Holger