BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Sending output of DumpPreUserCmd by email

2017-05-19 03:41:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Sending output of DumpPreUserCmd by email
From: Vladislav Kurz <vladislav.kurz AT webstep DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 19 May 2017 09:40:47 +0200
On 05/18/17 17:30, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 9:49 AM, Vladislav Kurz
> <vladislav.kurz AT webstep DOT net <mailto:vladislav.kurz AT webstep DOT
> net>> wrote:
>
>     Hello all,
>
>     First of all big thanks to all developers of BackupPC, it is really a
>     very nice and useful backup tool.
>
>     I use DumpPreUserCmd (and similar options) to run mysqldump, or make
>     snapshots of filesystems before backup. I would like to have the output
>     of these mailed to me instead of being just logged.
>

> Probably not the direction you were thinking but why not create a
> systemd service file for DumpPreUserCmd to start?
>
> I'm assuming you're using a system which uses systemd...

Hello,

I have many systems, and most of them are older then systemd (so using
classic init). And on those that do, I'm sometimes pulling my hair out
because of systemd. But I do not want to rant about systemd here. I know
I have to learn new things all my life.

> If you prepend the command in the service file with a hyphen the unit
> will exit cleanly even if the command failed...
>
> ExecStart=-/command/to/run

This is not exactly what I want. I can ignore the failure by setting
backuppc: UserCmdCheckStatus=0

What I want is to get any output of the script by mail. Whether it fails
or not.

I thought it would be more elegant if this could be done by backuppc
itself than adding something like "2>&1 | mail root" to all predump scripts.

--
S pozdravem
        Vladislav Kurz

Centrála: Celní 17/5, 63900 Brno, CZ