BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] SELinux for v4.1.1

2017-05-02 20:36:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] SELinux for v4.1.1
From: Kenneth Porter <shiva AT sewingwitch DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2017 17:34:04 -0700
tl;dr:

BackupPC users who want to enable SELinux should mount their backup media
with either the context or defcontext options. (See links below for syntax.)

--On Tuesday, May 02, 2017 5:29 PM -0700 Kenneth Porter
<shiva AT sewingwitch DOT com> wrote:

> I found through audit2why that the files in /var/lib/BackupPC (mounted
> from  an external USB drive) are mislabeled as
> system_u:object_r:unlabeled_t:s0  and should be labeled
> system_u:object_r:var_lib_t:s0.

I think the default label is per-filesystem so the mount point prevents the
files on the external drive from getting labeled properly. I found this
article showing how to set the filesystem's default label. There's also an
option context= for setting a label that overrides all label attributes on
files within the filesystem. That may be be useful for drives that get
moved between systems that don't have selinux or have different policies.

<https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/12/html/Security-Enhanced_Linux/sect-Security-Enhanced_Linux-Mounting_File_Systems-Changing_the_Default_Context.html>

<https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/11/html/Security-Enhanced_Linux/sect-Security-Enhanced_Linux-Working_with_SELinux-Mounting_File_Systems.html>

---