BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] backuppc.serviceJob for backuppc.service failed

2017-03-27 19:41:49
Subject: [BackupPC-users] backuppc.serviceJob for backuppc.service failed
From: Ethan Tarr <etarr4 AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 16:40:48 -0700
New user here. Running Debian 8.7 Jessie.

Last week I realized there was no 'target folder' option in BackupPC and that I needed to create a symbolic link to a much larger RAID array that will fit all my backups. I followed this guide in order to do so. This went smoothly, however once I opened the BackupPC web GUI, I was getting this error:

Error: Unable to connect to BackupPC server
This CGI script (/backuppc/index.cgi) is unable to connect to the BackupPC server on [server] port -1.
The error was: unix connect: Permission denied. getting this error:

Then I found I was unable to restart the backuppc service:

/etc/init.d/backuppc start
[....] Starting backuppc (via systemctl): backuppc.serviceJob for backuppc.service failed. See 'systemctl status backuppc.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.
 failed!

systemctl status backuppc.service
● backuppc.service - LSB: Launch backuppc server
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/backuppc)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2017-03-27 12:15:48 PDT; 4h 18min ago
  Process: 3173 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/backuppc start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Running journalctl -xn results in 'No journal files were found.'

It sounds like a permissions issue to me, but I'm still fairly new to Linux in general and I've had things blow up in my face when screwing with permissions and ownership in the past, so I'm hesitant to try things. Where should I begin?

Thanks in advance.