BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] cygwin-rsyncd-3.0.9.0 and cygwin-rsyncd-3.1.2 file integrity

2017-02-16 07:08:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] cygwin-rsyncd-3.0.9.0 and cygwin-rsyncd-3.1.2 file integrity
From: Kenneth Porter <shiva AT sewingwitch DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 04:06:39 -0800
On 2/15/2017 5:49 PM, Craig Barratt wrote:
> Removing blat sounds like a good idea.  Would someone like to create a
> new cygwin-rsyncd-3.1.2 wrapper and test it?
>
> Currently none of the source files (which are mainly binaries) for the
> windows client installer are on github.  I can add them once we have a
> clean working version.

Which installer are you using? I've been using WiX, which creates .msi
files from XML descriptions. As with most software, it trades ease of
use for power. It provides raw access to the system installer instead of
a pretty GUI for very simple install scenarios.

http://wixtoolset.org/

  .msi files are databases with tables declaring where things go. The
tables may contain binary blobs with embedded DLLs to take special
actions beyond the ability of Windows' built-in installer. You can view
and edit an MSI database using the Orca utility included with Visual
Studio. Look for the orca.msi file after you install Visual Studio. On
my system with multiple VS versions I find the installer here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bin\Orca.Msi
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\bin\x86\Orca-x86_en-us.msi

---