BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Breaking up large backups

2017-02-08 22:10:23
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Breaking up large backups
From: Kenneth Porter <shiva AT sewingwitch DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2017 19:09:31 -0800
We all know that rsync's weakness is very large file sets. They have to be
held in memory on both client and server to determine the change set to be
transmitted. So it's reasonable to want to be able to break up a large
backup client into multiple backup jobs by splitting subdirectories into
their own backups, and adding exclusions to the original backup. It would
be nice to be able to break up the latest snapshot from the original backup
to create a seed backup for the new subdirectory jobs. Has anyone tried to
automate this?

I have a couple machines that regularly fail their backups because they
take so long from the huge file sets so I'm about to embark on breaking
them up to deal with it.

---