BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Compression benchmark

2017-02-01 03:53:49
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Compression benchmark
From: Jan Stransky <jan.stransky.ccp4 AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2017 09:53:22 +0100
Hi,

as I have installed BackupPC, I was pleasantly surprised with
compression effectiveness (data savings), but unpleasantly surprised
with its CPU dependence.

Therefore, I am thinking about preparing some compression CPU
performance benchmark for BackupPC. Potential new users or HW buyers
would have a feeling what can they expect. In my example, I have bought
Intel NUC with Pentium N3700 and backups with compression is 10x slower.
Knowing that eariler, I would look for version with i3 or i5. Or not, if
they are still to weak.

The benchmark idea:

1) Docker image/Dockerfile with preconfigured BackupPC

2) Few datasets: bunch of general documents, images; images with virtual
machines; some movies? Few GBs each.

3) Full backup of each dataset as separate host, then second with
already filled pool. Preferably from SSD to SSD to not be IO limited.

4) Report backup speeds and timing given by BackupPC

What do you think? Would you run the tests on your HW to fill a
database? Is it worth doing?

Jan