BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Can't write len=1048576 to /var/lib/backuppc/pc/sw.example.de/new//f%2f/RStmp

2016-09-22 20:32:13
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Can't write len=1048576 to /var/lib/backuppc/pc/sw.example.de/new//f%2f/RStmp
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2016 10:31:26 +1000
On 22/09/16 19:54, Peter Thurner wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I'm running a backuppc Server Installation on Debian 8. I'm using rsync
> + filling method on all clients. I'm backing up several Debian 8
> Clients, one of which makes problems. When I start the the backup, the
> hook Script works fine, the rsync seems to run through - I strace it on
> the client and see that it does stuff, also the new directory fills up.
> After the rsync however "nothing" more happens and the client hangs. If
> I wait for two days, the backup aborts. When I abort myself I get the
> following errors in the bad log (I set log level to 2 and added
> --verbose as rsync option)
>
>    skip     600       0/0      934080 var/log/installer/syslog
>    skip     600       0/0     1162350 var/log/installer/partman
> Can't write len=1048576 to
> /var/lib/backuppc/pc/sw.example.de/new//f%2f/RStmp
> Can't write len=1048576 to
> /var/lib/backuppc/pc/sw.example.de/new//f%2f/RStmp
> [...]
> lots of those cant write
> [...]
> Parent read EOF from child: fatal error!
> Done: 0 files, 0 bytes
> Got fatal error during xfer (Child exited prematurely)
> Backup aborted by user signal
>

> I tried writing to the RStmp file during a backup - if I touch or echo
> fo > RStmp it, I can write to it. If I dd if=/dev/zero of=RStmp bs=1M
> count=1000, the file disappears right away, as in:
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=RStmp ... ; ls RStmp
> no such file or directory
>
> Any Ideas to what might cause this?
Ummm, backuppc is in the process of backing up data, and you want to
start stepping on it's toes by writing to it's temp file? That doesn't
make any sense to me, but I guess you have your reasons.

I'm assuming you are using BPC v3 but you didn't let us know....

I would guess that there is a large (possibly sparse) file that is in
the process of being backed up, and it takes a long time. I think you
might see more information by examining the client rsync process with
either strace, or when it is "stalled" (ie, backing up the large file),
look at ls -l /proc/<rsyncpid>/fds which will show which file it has
open. Then you can check what is wrong with the file (unexpected large
file, or sparse file, or whatever). Once identified, you can either
arrange for the file to be deleted, or excluded from the backup, or be
more patient and/or extend your timeout to allow this large file to
complete.

If you are unable to solve the issue, please provide some additional
details. Especially a look at strace of rsync on the client while it is
"stalled" will help identify what it is doing.

Regards,
Adam

--
Adam Goryachev Website Managers www.websitemanagers.com.au