BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Difference between terms in logs backuppc

2016-08-14 09:38:44
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Difference between terms in logs backuppc
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: alex8276 <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>, nenes82 AT hotmail DOT com
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2016 14:56:03 +0200
Hi,

alex8276 wrote on 2016-07-07 01:20:44 -0700 [[BackupPC-users]  Difference
between terms in logs backuppc]:
> Can you explain the difference between : pool, same in the backup's log ?

yes.

> pool     644   400/401       13372 vendor/PhpExcel/xx.php
> same     644   400/401        3415 app/config/config.yml

"same" means that rsync determined that the file is unchanged since the
reference backup so no data was transferred. "pool" means that BackupPC
found a file with identical content in the pool and thus created a link
to the pool file instead of independently storing the transmitted data
in a new file (i.e. rsync saw a change and transferred data).

> Also, sometimes I have this error :
> "Read EOF: Connexion ré-initialisée par le correspondant
> Tried again: got 0 bytes

That seems to translate to "connection reset by peer" meaning the TCP
connection was dropped by the remote end. Either rsync closed the
connection for whatever reason, the host running rsync rebooted, or a
firewall inbetween timed out the connection, usually because no data
was exchanged for some amount of time (e.g. when comparing large files
or building a file list).

Hint: you probably have an incorrect language setting somewhere which
*may* case problems elsewhere, because BackupPC doesn't understand the
error messages of an external program, though I very much doubt that is
the issue here.

> Can't write 4 bytes to socket
> finish: removing in-process file xx/xx/xx.jpg
>
> What is the problem ? The file xx.jpg or an other file not mentioned ?

Difficult to say. Is it always the same file? Is it a large file? Does
it change regularly? How often do you get the error? Is there possibly
something external related to it (e.g. DSL provider hangup, bandwidth
used by other processes, server reboot, ...)?

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Holger