BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How do you monitor a backup process?

2016-08-04 10:23:24
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How do you monitor a backup process?
From: Tony Schreiner <anthony.schreiner AT bc DOT edu>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2016 09:52:32 -0400
You can follow XferLog with

/usr/share/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC_zcat <pathto>/XferLOG.z | tail

but it is buffered, so not completely current

Also on the backup host, you can get the  process id of the current dump processes (there will be two per host during file transfer), and do

(sudo) ls -l /proc/{pid1,pid2}/fd

if a file is being written to backup it will show up in this list. But be aware that there are times (sometimes long) when files are not being written