BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How do you monitor a backup process?

2016-08-04 10:04:57
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How do you monitor a backup process?
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2016 00:04:35 +1000
On 4/08/2016 22:59, martin f krafft wrote:
> Hey,
>
> some of the backup processes here run for hours, and there are often
> reasons why I want to check on what's going on.
>
> How do you monitor backups in real-time? XferLOG.z can't be tail'd,
> and attaching strace or lsof to the running processes just isn't
> very sexy.
>
> Can you fathom a good method by which I can keep a good eye on
> what's going on, e.g. a way to have BackupPC write to the host's log
> file something like

I've used ls -l /proc/pid/fds or strace or lsof etc... all work, some
are better on the client rather than the backuppc server.
I've also used tail -f XferLOG | Backuppc_zcat which does work, but
doesn't update in real time (ie, you have to wait for a number of lines
of log output before you see the update.....

Not sure of a "better" way.... Backuppc 4.0 includes a counter for
number of files xfered though that doesn't help for BPC 3.x

Regards,
Adam