BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Postfix problems

2016-07-26 07:32:32
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Postfix problems
From: Alexander Moisseev <moiseev AT mezonplus DOT ru>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 14:31:38 +0300
On 26.07.16 13:30, Kacper Kowalski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have issues with email notifications. I checked mailing list, found some
> tips and advises, but those are not working.
> The problem is, that if I try to send test mail from backuppc user like this:
> root@backup:/etc# sudo -u backuppc /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_sendEmail
> -u kacper.s.kowalski AT gmail DOT com <mailto:kacper.s.kowalski AT gmail DOT
> com>
> I can see in mail.log file, that my mail wasn't send, because of timing out
> (sometimes "Network unreachable" is the reason):
> Jul 26 12:12:20 backup postfix/smtp[3496]: 133C643A41: to=<kacper.s.kowalski
> AT gmail DOT com <mailto:kacper.s.kowalski AT gmail DOT com>>, relay=none,
> delay=3347, delays=3256/0.02/90/0, dsn=4.4.1, status=deferred (connect to
> alt2.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com
> <http://alt2.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com>[64.233.189.26]:25: Connection timed
> out)

Your own MTA (Postfix) has accepted test message and put it in mail queue. So,
notifications are working.

> I tried to change smtp port to 587 in master.cf <http://master.cf> file, but
> after restarting postfix service and sending test email, the 25 port is used,
> not 587 (in log file the ip is followed by ":25").

It seems like you mixed up client and server ports. I don't think you should
use submission port to send notifications - gmail requires authentication for
MUAs.
I'm afraid, you can't get your own mail server up and running if you don't know
how SMTP works.