BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] merge incrementals with full

2016-07-18 10:10:13
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] merge incrementals with full
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 09:09:46 -0500
On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 8:26 AM, cardiganimpatience
<backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:
> I previously wrote:
> What's happening is that backup #12 is trying to go back to incremental #5
> (which is the level 1 incremental.) I added many folders in-between
> incremental #5 and incremental #10, and if I could get it to use a higher
> incremental, like #7 I think it would include those large files already in
> the pool.
> --
> I ended up just running a full backup again. Now I have another question:
> The "New files" summary shows about 25 GB of new files were imported during
> this full backup, but the /var/lib/BackupPC//pc/$host/new folder grew to over
> 285 GB during the backup. Is there a good way to estimate how much data was
> transferred over the wire? Am I correct in guessing that it moved all the
> files across the wire and held them in the /new folder until it could compare
> them, then linked/discarded them as necessary?

If you are using rsync as the xfer method, only the changes are
transferred over the wire.  However, on the server side the changes
are merged with copies of the unchanged parts to create a complete
copy of the remote file which is then linked into the pool in the
usual way.   Also, files that are new or moved on the remote but exist
in the pool (from copies elsewhere) will be copied over the wire but
removed in the pooling process.  Unchanged files in the same location
should not be copied at all with rsync/rsyncd, but would be by other
methods using the timestamp to exclude existing files during
incrementals.