BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up BackupPC

2016-07-13 12:55:33
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up BackupPC
From: Falko Trojahn <news AT trojahn DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 00:23:32 +0200
bpb21 wrote on 11.07.2016 at 20:28:
> I've got BackupPC running on a CentOS server (working fine with Windows 10
> PCs, by the way!).  I'd like to back up, on occasion, the data BackupPC
> stores.
>
> For other servers, network shares, and CCTV footage, I use LTO-5 Ultrium
> tapes and just use tar on the CentOS server connected to the tape drive;
> nothing proprietary going on.
>
> But, where does BackupPC store it's data?  (I could probably figure that one
> out pretty easily.)  More of a question is, how would backing up the pooled
> data to an external source work out?  I have approx. 3.8 TB of data before
> pooling and compression, approx 1 TB of data after pooling and compression.
>
> So, I'd need to plan on 3.8 TB of external storage were I to back up
> BackupPC's data, correct?
>
> If I just used the regular tar commands to back up the data directory for
> BackupPC, would it be able to preserve the user permissions?  As in, could I
> still tell what came from what PC if I just copied the data directory?
>
> (I'm probably making this more complex than it is...)

you have several possibilities:

- use the archivehost feature, so last backup of each host can be saved
to tape or e.g. destination directory on e.g. external usb drive for
offline storage

- use rsync to sync the whole pool (usually /var/lib/backuppc) to other
hard disk, with special parameters it's possible even over ssh
   we do our sync of about 2TB in one  and a half day over 1gb ethernet
   to remote location; if possible, do initial sync locally.
   backuppc service must be shutdown during the sync or at least not
   doing backups, for consistency.

- instead of rsync, if backuppc pool is on btrfs, one could use btrfs'
   send-receive feature, or e.g. btrbk. didn't try that out, though.

HTH
Falko