BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Backing up BackupPC

2016-07-11 14:29:08
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Backing up BackupPC
From: bpb21 <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 11:28:10 -0700
I've got BackupPC running on a CentOS server (working fine with Windows 10 PCs,
by the way!).  I'd like to back up, on occasion, the data BackupPC stores.

For other servers, network shares, and CCTV footage, I use LTO-5 Ultrium tapes
and just use tar on the CentOS server connected to the tape drive; nothing
proprietary going on.

But, where does BackupPC store it's data?  (I could probably figure that one
out pretty easily.)  More of a question is, how would backing up the pooled
data to an external source work out?  I have approx. 3.8 TB of data before
pooling and compression, approx 1 TB of data after pooling and compression.

So, I'd need to plan on 3.8 TB of external storage were I to back up BackupPC's
data, correct?

If I just used the regular tar commands to back up the data directory for
BackupPC, would it be able to preserve the user permissions?  As in, could I
still tell what came from what PC if I just copied the data directory?

(I'm probably making this more complex than it is...)