BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Full period

2016-06-21 06:18:33
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Full period
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 20:17:43 +1000

On 21/06/2016 17:28, absolutely_free AT libero DOT it wrote:
> Hi,
>
> currently I have default value for:
>
> $Conf{FullPeriod} = '6.97';
> $Conf{IncrPeriod} = '0.97';
>
> I noticed that I am unable to complete backups for each server in one
> day; probably it takes 3 days to finish.
> So, I have this situation (let's say this is backup list for ONE server)
>
> day1: full backup
> day2: nothing
> day3: nothing
> day4: nothing
> day5: incremental
> day6: nothing
> day7: another full backup
>
> Is there a way to configure BackupPC to run Full backup every X
> backups (and NOT every X days)?
> I think that probably I'll save some bandwidth, am I wrong?

What method are you using to do the backup?
Why does the backup take so long? Is it bandwidth between the two
machines or something else?

Potentially, using rsync or rsyncd will reduce the time to complete a
backup, produce more accurate backups, and also reduce bandwidth
consumption. Result is more backups, so better ability to restore
if/when needed.

Other than that, I don't think there is any way to automatically do more
incrementals, short of increasing the FullPeriod to a higher value....
PS, I assume day6 is nothing because even the incremental took 2 days to
complete....

Regards,
Adam

Regards,