BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] smbclient phantom subdirectories

2016-06-16 13:55:37
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] smbclient phantom subdirectories
From: Michael Stowe <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 12:54:50 -0500
On 2016-06-15 15:53, Smith, Graham - Computing Technical Officer wrote:
> Is anyone suffering a regression of the problem of repeated phantom
> directories with smb:
>
> NT_STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND listing
> \CompSAN_Backup\Admin\Documentation\Documentation\*
> NT_STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND listing \HomeDir\HomeDir\*
> [ skipped 105 lines ]
> tarExtract: Done: 0 errors, 59 filesExist, 77230178370 sizeExist,
> 50576181807 sizeExistComp, 61 filesTotal, 77230458206 sizeTotal
> Got fatal error during xfer (No files dumped for share f$)
> Backup aborted (No files dumped for share f$)
> Not saving this as a partial backup since it has fewer files than the
> prior one (got 61 and 0 files versus 61)

This looks like a default share... But the error is a common error from
smbclient, and yet tarExtract is involved?  I'm not sure what you're
trying to convey.

> I had the issue with smb failing which has now been patched. I
> migrated to rsync but whilst it had benefits it put
> a significant load on the backuppc side so I'd like to revert to smb.
> But so far it's not working for me.
>
> smbclient connects fine on the command line and no such issues.

Are you attempting the same thing?  It's not clear at all that you are.
Or what you're attempting.

> Browsing around old mail archives suggests
> locked files client side (not the case for me with as used vshadow) or
> a generic bug in smbclient of some sort.

vshadow with smbclient?  You'll probably want to explain this, as it is
unusual at best.  There have been a few smbclient bugs that have
resulted in error symptoms, but the version number would generally rule
them out (and you haven't provided enough detail to comment further, I'm
afraid.)

> I'm on Debian Jessie with backuppc 3.3.1-3 and smbclient
> 2:4.4.3+dfsg-4.
>
> thanks,
>
> Graham

 From the detail you've provided so far, the most likely scenario is that
you've simply specified directories that aren't there or that permission
has not been granted to traverse.