BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup Windows 7 client fails

2016-06-13 09:20:08
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup Windows 7 client fails
From: Michael Stowe <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 08:19:21 -0500
On 2016-06-11 12:30, Mark Neidorff wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using backuppc to make backups of two hosts-#1 is a linux host and
> #2 is a
> Windows 7 host.
>
> Backuppc runs on a RaspberryPi (yeah, I know...things will be very,
> very slow,
> but this is testing before I roll out another host for doing the
> backups.)
>
> I have successfully backed up the linux host doing a full backup and an
> incremental backup.  Both worked without errors.
>
> I'm getting errors with the Windows 7 host.
>
> I've setup backuppc (version 3.2.1) to use smb as the protocol for the
> Windows
> 7 host.
> I created a share on the Windows 7 host called "MerriC"
>
> When I start a backup, the log contains:
>
> quote:
> Full backup started for share MerriC
> Got fatal error during xfer (No files dumped for share MerriC)
> Backup aborted (No files dumped for share MerriC)
> end qoute:
>
> I also got these logs:
>
> quote:
> Anonymous login successful

Note that your problem starts here -- you probably don't want an
anonymous login, but a credentialed login.  There can be any number of
reasons why this happens; from using simple file sharing, to using a
version of smbclient where the -N switch implies an anonymous login.
You'll want to start by getting that command line from the logs and
testing it against your Windows setup outside BackupPC, and correct
whichever one is causing the issue.

> tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

This is related to the anonymous login.

> end qoute:
>
> I thought the problem might be the firewall on the Windows machine, so
> disabled it, (FWIW, the firewall is the one bundled with the Macafee
> Security
> Suite) but I still get the same errors.

The McAfee firewall is indeed problematic, and I wouldn't recommend
using it, but I'm not aware of it being capable of taking a credentialed
login and changing it to an anonymous one.  It's more prone to things
like mysterious timeouts and connections that terminate for no
particular reason.  It can be perfectly serviceable if it's not
particularly stressed.

> My questions:
> 1. Have I provided you with enough information to diagnose why the
> backup of
> the Windows client does not work, but the linux client does?
>
> 2. If you see my problem, what is it, and how do I fix it?
>
> 3. If you need more info, what do you need?

(see above)