BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Is this software abandoned? Who is packager Bernard Johnson?

2016-06-07 03:43:01
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Is this software abandoned? Who is packager Bernard Johnson?
From: Kenneth Porter <shiva AT sewingwitch DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2016 00:41:04 -0700
On 6/6/2016 9:52 AM, David Cramblett wrote:
> Not forking, just migrating to GitHUb. Craig will still be project
> lead and maintain control. This is probably what you meant, just want
> to be clear for others who may read this.

It wasn't clear to me whether Craig would be returning.

However, note that the git architecture naturally creates forks, if only
short-lived ones. It allows us all to pick and choose patches from
downstream repos to create our own custom version of a project. So if
Craig gets busy and can't keep up with everyone's fixes, someone else
can gather them in an independent repo. Much like the way there are many
Linux kernels that share the same core code but focus on different
objectives. This isn't a bad thing. Embrace it. Much like we enjoy
"covers" of popular songs.