BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC futures

2016-05-17 11:43:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC futures
From: Mauro Condarelli <mc5686 AT mclink DOT it>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 17:42:47 +0200
Thanks Stephen,
comments below.

Il 17/05/2016 16:24, Stephen Joyce ha scritto:

> I'm glad to see the recent energy going into the discussion and planning
> for BackupPC's future. It's great that there's an interest in making sure
> the project stays alive.
The interest is surely here.

> It sounds like there are lots of opinions about how to proceed long-term,
> including who the core players will be who have the time, knowledge, etc.
> to keep this project alive. It'll be interesting to see what shakes out.
> :-)
At present the priority (IMHO) is to gain momentum and make sure we resume
development with (at least) a maintenance release fixing bugs and halting
bit-rot
(the most scary is divergence with samba development, but that should be easy
to fix, once we resume coding).
How to proceed long-term is, well... long term ;^)

> In the shorter term, my goal is to spend some spare time collecting patches
> for the bugs that have been found in the past ~3 years (which may take some
> time since they're scattered around), incorporate them into the existing
> CVS tree, and issue a point release addressing those issues.
As it seems we are moving to github I would like to ask You which are plans
about
current infrastructure (SourceForge).
We do *not* want to fork the project or, worse, try to hijack it away from the
old
developers (Craig in primis, but not only).
You are implying You will continue working on the old SF project.
Is that temporary, something like a "last cleanup", or do You plan to revive the
Project as-is?

If the project will continue on SF and You can incorporate also other people
work
I think we should reconsider decision to move to GitHub at all.
OTOH if You (and Craig, of course!) could consider leading us also on the new
platform
I think that could be beneficial.

In any case, as said, we do not want to start a new project, if at all possible.
Since You have now (at least so I understand) write access to SF both roads are
open; You should make a decision (perhaps after consulting with Craig) which
one to chose.
I am strongly against having two projects for any extended period of time.

To be very clear:
If You think You and Craig want to retain complete and exclusive control of
BackupPC
I think it's in Your full right and I will personally stop the GitHub attempt
(and I
advise everyone else to do the same).
If You (Craig and whoever else is in Your list) are willing to move with us to
GitHub
for a development model a bit more open (I'm not for a complete Bazar, but
having
a handful of people with admin rights seems convenient) then You're welcome to
take leadership. I personally have no particular desire to have any specific
role; I'm
just a user who didn't want this project to die.

> In the longer term, Craig has stated he still has the desire to work on
> BackupPC; the problem currently is time. I'm still hopeful that he will be
> able to find some time to help review any major updates, releases, etc.
> This is after all, still his baby.
That is wonderful news.

We all understand he is quite busy.
If he can spare any time at present, his opinion on strategy would be paramount.
I cannot speak for everybody, but personally I'm willing to help pushing in
direction
he would indicate.

In particular, at present, this means:
- should we move to github or not?
- should effort be concentrated on v3.x or on v4.x?
- has the effort to ease installation/configuration his blessing?
- can he comment (and set priorities) to workpackages ("issues", in case we
move to GH)
- whatever he would like to indicate as a priority

> Cheers,
> Stephen
Thanks a lot Stephen and
Regards to Craig