BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Migrate local data into BackupPC pool for remote client

2016-05-06 14:35:47
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Migrate local data into BackupPC pool for remote client
From: cardiganimpatience <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 06 May 2016 07:19:14 -0700
BackupPC is installed and working great for new hosts. Is there a way to take
the hundreds of GB from old hosts that exist on the backup server and import
them into the BackupPC storage pool?

The old backup system uses rsync to dump all files to a local disk on the same
server where BackupPC is installed, albeit with incorrect file ownership. I
don't want to re-transfer that data over our narrow bandwidth connection if I
don't have to. I believe rsync will sort out permissions and timestamps on its
own.

So far I've created a host in BackupPC and changed the transfer type to 'tar'
and successfully imported one of its mount points, but now the tar sharename is
called "/home/backup/<servername>/cur/<share>/", where the actual share on the
host is simply called /<share>.

My intention is to flip the Xfer method from 'tar' to 'rsync' after I get most
of the larger shares imported via local tar. Is it necessary to associate the
imported files with a specific host or does hard-linking take care of all that?

Thanks!