BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] smbclient tar problem with umlauts

2016-04-22 21:00:15
Subject: [BackupPC-users] smbclient tar problem with umlauts
From: Johannes König <johannes.koenig AT ebe-fn DOT de>
To: "backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 22:31:32 +0000

Hi everybody,

since about one week, I have severe problems backing up our windows 2012 r2 server and our synology running DSM 6.

Here’s a log from the windows server 2012 r2:

Running: /usr/bin/smbclient \\\\XXXXXXXX.XXXXXXXX\\D\$ -U XXXXXXXXX -E -d 1 -c tarmode\ full -Tc - /Software

full backup started for share D$

Xfer PIDs are now 3686,3685

[ skipped 1 lines ]

tar:316  tarmode is now full, system, hidden, noreset, quiet

tar:943  Fatal: Can't translate pathname './Software/Fashion2000/Daten (X) - Verknüpfung.lnk' to UTF-8

NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL listing \Software\Fashion2000\*

[ skipped 534 lines ]

tar:943  Fatal: Can't translate pathname './Software/windata/professional 8/Daten/INI/ZahlungenÜbertragen.dxB' to UTF-8

NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL listing \Software\windata\professional 8\Daten\INI\*

[ skipped 79 lines ]

tar:943  Fatal: Can't translate pathname './Software/windata/professional 8/Daten/kontoumsätze.rpt' to UTF-8

NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL listing \Software\windata\professional 8\Daten\*

[ skipped 91 lines ]

tar:943  Fatal: Can't translate pathname './Software/windata/professional 8/kontoumsätze.rpt' to UTF-8

NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL listing \Software\windata\professional 8\*

tar:711  Total bytes received: 172001480

[ skipped 50 lines ]

tarExtract: Done: 0 errors, 724 filesExist, 170838104 sizeExist, 132601069 sizeExistComp, 732 filesTotal, 172002063 sizeTotal

Got fatal error during xfer (No files dumped for share D$)

Backup aborted (No files dumped for share D$)

Not saving this as a partial backup since it has fewer files than the prior one (got 732 and 0 files versus 732)

As you can see, all files with umlauts cannot be backupped. I assume this has something to do with the samba upgrade to 4.2, which was discussed some days ago on the list.

The same error shows also when backing up the synology via smb.

Until one week ago, everything worked. I am using debian jessie as a basic system and I have automatic updates in place. The last successful update took place in April 13, 2016.

Is there anything I can do right now to solve the umlaut conversion problem or do I have to wait until backuppc is adjusted to the new samba version?

Best regards,

Johannes Koenig

--
Ebe und Co. GmbH