BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] [Solved] missed "override" (Re: rsyncd excludes problem (3.2.1))

2016-04-14 15:28:24
Subject: [BackupPC-users] [Solved] missed "override" (Re: rsyncd excludes problem (3.2.1))
From: Benjamin Redling <benjamin.rampe AT uni-jena DOT de>
To: mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 21:27:16 +0200
On 2016-04-13 17:32, Michael Stowe wrote:
> On 2016-04-13 03:29, Benjamin Redling wrote:

> Start with the basics:  xferlog.  You'll want to review your excludes in
> two ways.  First, you'll want to confirm that they show up here:

> <snip>
> Sent exclude: Users/*/AppData/Local/Temp/*
> <snip>

Huge thank you! That got me to question my "config.pl" and have a look
on the host's config because the Xferlog was missing any "Sent exclude"
-- that made me ask the right questions.

And brought the solution which indeed had nothing to do with syntax:

Normally I only use the global settings as long as possible -- I really
miss a central SPOT (single point of truth) --
1. I must have set the _erroneous_, new excludes once at the host
-- "override" gets set
2. then removed the excludes at the host's config via the CGI,
_but_ missed to disable the "override"
3. Whatever settings I made and tested globally got overridden by the
now non-existent/empty excludes *argh* ... and starting to edit the text
file directly at least in this case made me _less_ aware of the
host-specific settings.

Regards,
Benjamin
--
FSU Jena | JULIELab.de/Staff/Benjamin+Redling.html
vox: +49 3641 9 44323 | fax: +49 3641 9 44321