BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] rsyncd excludes problem (3.2.1)

2016-04-13 11:34:13
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] rsyncd excludes problem (3.2.1)
From: Michael Stowe <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 10:32:55 -0500
On 2016-04-13 03:29, Benjamin Redling wrote:
> Sadly coming back for the same reason:
>
> On 03/29/2016 19:57, Michael Stowe wrote:
>> On 2016-03-29 10:17, Benjamin Redling wrote:
>>> my exclude list seems to be defunct [...] XferMethod is rsyncd,
>>> shouldn't '*/tmp' avoid this?
>
>> No,
> [...]
>> If you want to exclude anything in a subdirectory named tmp, then
>> 'tmp/'
>> should do the trick.
>
> No variant works in my case -- tmp/, tmp/***, */tmp/*, home =>
> <specificUser>/tmp/
>
> If anybody is using the same package successfully I would be happy to
> not annoy the package maintainer and keep trying to understand what I
> am
> doing wrong.

Start with the basics:  xferlog.  You'll want to review your excludes in
two ways.  First, you'll want to confirm that they show up here:

<snip>
Sent exclude: Users/*/AppData/Local/Temp/*
<snip>

If you don't see that, or it's munged, the problem isn't the syntax or
format of your exclusions, so much as your config file isn't expressing
exclusions to rsync.  Once you do that, you should see (or perhaps fail
to see) lower in the file, lines that correspond to the regular
expression:

<snip>
create d 770    544/18           0
Users/Administrator.Luffy/AppData/Local/Temp
<snip>

As you see from the above, this is NOT a match for the regex, but any
files IN the directory would be.  This happens to be what we want, since
on a recovery of the user, we probably want to recover the directory but
we don't care about temp files.  We confirm below that no files within
the directory are backed up.

If we selected a more restrictive exclude, such as ending at "Temp", we
wouldn't expect this line to appear at all.