BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] R: Re: R: Keep getting "Aborting backup up after signal PIPE"

2016-03-23 11:01:28
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] R: Re: R: Keep getting "Aborting backup up after signal PIPE"
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 10:00:21 -0500
On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 5:47 AM, Nicolas Göddel
<mailinglists AT freakscorner DOT de> wrote:

> So I tested this out but I was not running out of memory. Only 5% RAM was
> needed
> by rsync and backuppc_dump together. I has to be an other problem. Is it
> because
> the source disk is also used by Samba and up to 20 users use the harddisk at a
> time? On the other side nobody is using this samba share at night when the
> backup is running.

Having other processes using files might slow things down but it
shouldn't be fatal.  I have seen problems with USB attached drives,
though.  You might look through /var/log/messages for errors around
the times backuppc runs have failed.  The PIPE error doesn't tell you
much except that the underlying xfer program quit unexpectedly.